Town of Ellington COVID-19 Property Tax Relief Program
Tax Deferment Program
The grace periods have been extended as follows:
- April 1 Sewer Use is extended from May 1, 2020 to July 1, 2020
- June 1 Sewer Assessment is extended from July 1, 2020 to September 1, 2020
- July 1 Real Estate, Personal Property, and Motor Vehicle taxes is extended from August 1, 2020 to October 1, 2020
- Real estate accounts in escrow and paid by a bank are not eligible for this program
- No application is necessary for taxpayers including businesses unless they are classified as a landlord (see below)
- Following the 90 days, the portion that remains delinquent shall be subject to statutory interest rate of 1.5% per month from the original due date
- This program does not address taxes that are already past due. It is not an amnesty or waiver of interest or other charges on taxes that are already delinquent
Landlord Eligibility Under the Deferment Program
In order for landlords (or any taxpayer that rents or leases property to tenants or lessees) to be eligible for the Deferment Program, they must provide the Tax Collector with documentation that either the parcel will suffer significant income decline, or that commensurate forbearance has been offered to their tenants. Residential landlords will need to mail or email the Tax Collector confirming that they are in compliance with Executive Order 7X or some other evidence of eligibility.
Commensurate forbearance means (1) a deferral of 25% of rent for ninety (90) days after its due date; (2) a deferral of one month’s rent to be paid over the ninety (90) day period; or (3) forbearance substantially similar to (1) or (2) as determined by the tax collector. The landlord must provide documentation evidencing proof that the tenants have received forbearance or that the landlord has actively offered forbearance to the tenants or lessees.
Tax Deferment Application Form and Submission Process
Click here for application. It is also available at https://portal.ct.gov/OPM/IGPP-MAIN/IGPP-Home-Page under the “News and Updates” Section.
The application form and supporting documents must be received no later than July 1, 2020 by the Ellington Tax Office by mail or email.
Mail: PO Box 158, Ellington, CT 06029-0158
If you have any questions please contact the Ellington Tax Office.