town of ellington logo

Welcome to the Town of Ellington

Household Hazardous Waste


The Town of Ellington has contracted with Mid-Northeast Recycling Operating Committee (MidNEROC) to handle disposal of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW).  MidNEROC is located at:

57 Hancock Road, Willington CT 06279

Ellington residents may bring residential quantities of HHW to this facility.  There is no charge at the facility and proof of residency is required.  

MidNEROC Hours

This site will be open from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM on the following 2021 dates:  April 17, May 15, June 19, July 17, August 21, September 18 and October 16.  MidNEROC management will be available on these dates from 8AM-2PM at 860-965-1910 for questions.

Temporary procedures due to COVID-19
  • Only one person is to be in the car.
  • Masks must be worn.
  • You must stay in the car with windows up.  Proof of residency, drivers license, should be shown through the window.
  • All waste MUST be in the trunk or rear compartment of the vehicle (NONE in passenger area).  Truck, hatch or tailgate should be unlocked or open.
  • No containers will be returned.
  • No aerosol or empty aerosol paint containers will be accepted.  (Pesticide aerosols accepted only).  
  • No oil or antifreeze accepted (these are accepted at Town Garage).
  • Fluorescent light bulbs and rechargeable batteries should be brought to Town Garage recycling shed.
  • All materials should be in their original containers or clearly marked.
Some Accepted Materials:

Pesticide, Arts and crafts supplies, Chemistry kits, Degreasers, Drain Cleaners, Engine/radiator flushes, Fertilizers, Fire starters, Floor cleaners, Gasoline, General purpose cleaners, Insect spray, Lead based, oil and latex paint, Mercury thermometers and thermostats, Metal polishes, muriatic acid, Oven cleaners, Paint thinner, Pool chemicals, Rust preventative, Solvents, Wax and polishes, Wood preservative, Wood strippers.

Materials Not Accepted:

Ammunition, Asbestos, Explosives, Fireworks, Medications

Notes:  Latex paint cans can be disposed of in your regular household trash when the paint is dry or harden with lid removed.     Medications can be brought to the Resident Troopers Office at 33 Arbor Way during office hours.