Public Works Department
Duties & Responsibilities
Check out Eversource's 2022 Tree Trimming Schedule
It is the duty of the Department of Public Works to:
- Maintain, repair, clean and remove snow from all public town streets;
- Maintain and operate storm sewers and other drains
- Care for and maintain all town buildings other than those under the jurisdiction of the Board of Education
- Prepare or supervise the preparation of plans and specifications for the construction or reconstruction of streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, storm sewers, drains, public buildings and other structures and construct or supervise the construction of the same
- Care for parks, grassed areas in streets and public grounds, including athletic fields under the jurisdiction of the Board of Education and the Parks and Recreation Commission
- Plant and care for trees within the street line
- Maintain the facilities and grounds which come under the jurisdiction of the Water Pollution Control Facility
- Handle the Town's garbage and recycling program
The Department of Public Works is going to be offering residents the opportunity to purchase rain barrels and compost bins for their homes, at cost; at this time, they have ordered 12 of each. The links below will provide more information on each item.
FreeGarden EARTH Compost Bin - $51.25
Please contact the Public Works Department at 860-870-3140 for more information and/or to purchase either of these items.
Plans & Projects
Ellington congratulates Department of Public Works recent UConn CT Technology Transfer Center Graduates. Nice job!!
DPW Employees Ronald Moser, Richard Daugherty and Denis Giroux receiving the New England Chapter APWA Public Works First Responder Award